Friday, September 2, 2016

The Cure


      Since my youth, I have taken an active interest in doing my small part to help bring peace on earth, good will to all and the healing of the planet, with all of it's lifeforms. Throughout the grid, there are uncountable teams dedicated to finding the cure to many diseases. I do my part to help teams, in both SL and RL. From experience, I can say that there is a problem to finding cures that doesn't get mentioned much, if at all. I am going to tell you a story, but begin by telling you some important details that 1)  It is based on true conversations, some in SL and others from RL, 2) the names of people, places and diseases are all made up to a] protect the inocent and b] to allow readers to fill in the blanks for themselves, and 2) I will refer to myself in the first person, just me, myself and I, talking directly to the readers. Since this is all made up, there will be no pictures included, for the same reasons as above.

Gehirnnebel
   I was enjoying my first dance event, at a sim that I had recently written about, when I got an IM from an old friend, whom I'll call Jack. Jack said that he wished he could find some friends to hang out with. I told him that I was at the place that I had previously been telling him about and there were many friendly people, that would welcome him. Next thing I know, everybody is welcoming Jack and asking him to join the dance circle. We both enjoyed it and ended up among the last 3 to leave. We'll call the other remaining guest Jill. Jill had not even been one year in SL and was happy to meet new friends and hear of the sims they live on. We decided to continue our evening together by touring the sims that Jack and I lived on. During the lengthy tour, I discovered that both Jack and Jill had the same disease in RL, we shall call Gehirnnebel.

   The next day, I began to recall some things that I knew about Gehirnnebel. It was said to be caused by the Gehirnnebelwurm, which moves into and burrows around in the brain. Spread out in the brain makes it impossible to remove or poison, without killing the brain itself, so doctors say there is no cure. But wait, I had also heard that although you can't cut or poison it out, there is a way to starve it out. The gehirnnebelwurm lives on the glucose that circulates in our blood. Human cells, on the other hand, are not limited to glucose for their survival. If we only eat foods that do not break down to make glucose, the energy is delivered to the cells by a process called ketosis. The gehirnnebel worm can't thrive unless it gets glucose and will become dormant until it gets some. While these pests slumber, the brain has time to heal itself and, within a few days, the foggy brain begins to clear. I looked forward to telling Jack and Jill that a slight change in their diet could quickly lead to a wonderful improvement in their health. The next time I logged in, there was something I needed to re-write scripts for, but I was hoping that I would also find Jack and Jill. As I finished my repairs, to my delight, both showed up within a couple of minutes of each other. As I began to tell them that I knew of a possible "cure" for them to test, I soon noticed that Jacks brain had gone AFK and my news was going right over his head. Jill, on the other hand, was hearing the news, but was becoming agitated by it. Before even hearing what the cure is. How could I possibly have a cure, when doctors said it was not curable? How could I know of a cure, if I had never had gehirnnebel myself? I soon realized that helping Jack and Jill would not be as easy and fun as I had hoped, so I sat down and waited for them to regroup, so I could go into more detail as to what the cure might be. Keep in mind, at this point I hadn't said what the cure was and neither had bothered to ask what it was. Naturally, Jack was confused, because he had missed most of what had been talked about and Jill was getting very heated in her arguments, while still having no clue of what the cure was. Ultimately, her emotions got the best of her and she removed me from her friends list, muted me and poofed away. Now Jack was even more confused. When I explained that she got angry at me about claiming a cure, without either of them having learned what said cure might even be, Jack delighted me with his response. "So, what is the cure?", he asked. Since I didn't want to go through another argument with an uninformed person, I told him he should first get some background information, by doing a web search on the topics of Ketosis and Paleo Diets. If after reading about it he was interested in trying it, I could show him how to do it. For now, this is as far as the story goes, but we can already see the moral of the story.

   Fundraising teams can raise billions of dollars for scientists to find and make a cure available, but for the cure to work, those that need it most, will need to keep an open mind and not be kept from using it by unearned authorities that want it banned, because they can't get rich by curing with methods that go beyond their barbarous treatments of cutting and poisoning.
   As our teams continue the quest of finding the cure, we must also know about and prepare for the greedy individuals that will do everything in their dark power to keep us from the cure.

[I would like to point out that I hold no grievance towards Jill and forgive her social blunder. She had warned us that her friend skills needed work and this is not uncommon for those with brain disorders. If she would like to be friends again, I will welcome her back]

The only dumb questions are the ones you forgot to ask.

Sha

No comments:

Post a Comment