Sunday, January 4, 2015

Rick Audette, by the numbers


I am 64 years old and, during this life, have always been connected to large groups and made many friends. I am the second of seven children, have had three marriages and daughters, been a member of two hippy communes, Myspace, Facebook, the Stelle Group, the Keys of Knowledge (Founder), and Secondlife's Sunweaver Community. I have made many friends, perhaps over 1,000. And yet, I think it safe to say, not one of them fully knows me and my many interests. I don't plan on writing an autobiography, but I would like to share a part of me that I have always enjoyed. I have always been good at Mechanics and Spacial Relationships (S.A.T. 99th %ile). This knack has gotten me hired as a Design Engineer in several professions, but to me it's more of a hobby. As a Musician and Craftsman, I've built a number of stringed instruments, including dulcimers and harps. In doing this, I needed to know how to select the right diameter and length to make the strings, but could not find any books on how to do it. I got out my guitar and measured all the strings and frets. Then I spent about a week, using long hand division, to find the number, to 4 decimel places, that would allow me to make a spreadsheet that would automatically give me the diameter and length of sting to make any note needed. I printed it out and laminated it in plastic and still have it.


A few years later, everybody was talking about fractiles, so I got some software to make my own. My favorite was Henon type, strange attractors. As the chaosity factor was tweeked, each printout revealed something that looked like a top-down view of a solar system, with concentric rings or "orbits". Many of the rings were replaced with necklesses of smaller rings or "satelites". The number of satelites per orbit did not seem to follow any predictable pattern, as the factor was advanced .001 at a time and I decided to run the full scale and try to count them, as they bubbled out from the center. The program was run in full screen DOS and I was able to count most of them, but some orbits had so many small ones that they could not be counted. I don't have the same software, but did find the modern equivalent, which runs in a small DOS window. It's even harder to count them now, but I was able to use it to make an animation, to show how the "satelites" form and move out to the edge of the system. I made the following, using only part of the full range, so you can see this action.



The original tally of satelites counted was made into a bar graph, which I have reproduced below. The tallest bar is 41 satelites and the shortest is only 4.



When I finished making the graph, I thought it looked like another graph I had seen before. I dug through my filing cabinet and pulled out "The Great Pyramid's core masonry: graph of course thicknesses", which I have reconstructed below. Each course of stones is a different thickness, ranging from 58" down to 20"


Now, it might not be an exact match, but it does beg the question of just how much math those ancient engineers knew, many thousands of years before we came up with chaos theory. One would think they would make each course a bit smaller, but no, there is a hidden message here. From my studies of pyramids, every dimension hides a message and we have yet to decode them all.

So there you have it, a side of me you probably never saw before.







No comments:

Post a Comment